1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phase III: May I introduce Mena Oris, High Elf, blade artist

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

No, I didn't so far. At least I know the quality of printed parts from Shapeways. So this will be my reference. I will just ask them for the costs.

2. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, she IS imprssive! I couldn't resist to make a few photos with my shitty tablet:
    20160407_235909.
    At her side good old Lara Croft with a hight of 38 cm including pedestal.
    20160408_000016.
    20160408_000339.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I started Mena Oris V02. She is scaled down to 80% wich means 1:2.5 (800 mm tall). The reason for that is, that I don't want to split her hips and upper body vertical. Soon the printer will be tuned up a bit. That will help to improve quality dramatically.

4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Okay, I finished slice and repair of the new Mena Oris 800 mm (1:2.5 scale). Just to get waterproof printable parts without vertical cuts.
    Sliced Mena 800. Sliced Mena 800 clay.
    From the former 1000 mm model I've learned that its a bit tricky to assemble the figure in a correct way. I need some help for position the parts correctly to each other. Additional I want to assamble them temporary only because I want photos of the single parts. Something to code the right position and keep the single parts together without clue them.
    Oh wait! This sounds really like LEGO - lol! Yep, that's the idea: Make a LEGO-Mena Oris! I can put LEGO-like connection elements to each part at the cutting sites. Hell yeah!
    What I've learned from my test-prints with 2x4-LEGO-bricks it should work. This sounds pretty amazing for me and offers a couple of additional possibilities like change her weapons ...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. She needs to be rebuilt using custom Legos :)

6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Actually nearly at the age of 62 I don't really need "kid friendly" stuff - neither for me nor for my 35 and 38 years old kids ;-) And the grandchild will become 2 tomorrow - a bit young for 3d-printing. Usually such devices aren't very usefull - like "kid computers". Better the kids learn to use the printers of the parents when they are ready for that. LEGO bricks are a good example since the kids can manufacture their own toys. I assume good 3d-models of many LEGO-bricks will be available in internet (http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/lego-all-sizes-colors-94903.html). And the exciting part for kids (and adults) would be to be able to design own special bricks wich fit to the system.

Regarding myself: I would print all bricks I want (except the small Technic Connectors) by myself if I would like to build LEGO models. That would be way cheaper than original bricks. And since I'm able to make every 3d-model via CAD by myself it would be easy. But seriously: When I'm able to make correct 3d-models of something why should I make a LEGO version instead a model of a scaled real model? Print LEGO bricks is for LEGO freaks ;-)

Note: It is not allowed to use the LEGO trademark for own products. The brick patents expired. But the trademark is still protected. Even that "LEGO"-like "ULLA"-logo wouldn't be allowed, because it's kinda citation of the original.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I don't want to build a LEGO-model of my TESO-avatar. But I will use the brilliant system for the figure. Just at the cutting edges. Because it's a good possibility and fits best to my needs and I made some models already wich I can embed easily to old Mena's parts.
    Phase IV will be a figure from TESO wich represents myself. With my original head. Something like this:
    Michael.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  8. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Ha! Tomorrow I will get the "improved" printer back. So I started to pimp the first parts. Let's see if this will work.
    LEGO-Mena03.
    LEGO-Mena02. LEGO-Mena01.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amber Knightley

Amber Knightley I see dead people.

Awesome updates! That 1000mm figurine is soo cool! Wonder how I missed the updates about this lately...
    Good luck with the new printer!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

It works!
    The LEGO-like connection is awesome. I just printed the right foot (as shown above) and tested it with the 2x4 bricks I printed lately. Pretty fixed. Hard to remove.
    I print more solid parts now: higher wall thickness and more infill.
    @narfi:
    Fill.

If everything works well from now on, we will end up in a pluggable 800 mm figure. Cross fingers!
    ... even easier painting and shipping if someone wants such a service ;-).

What I've learned from using the new printer during the last year is, you can't avoid to adjust each print so far - according geometry and material.

@Steven Jobs: Man, come back please. We need you so bad!
    Believe me, this guy would have offered a user-friendly device (iPrinter) with creative software at the last keynote! Contrary to that lame Tim Cook.

I think we need better software. TBH I don't want to adjust each damn single part at the software and than during the printing process again. I mean, who the hell want to adjust each print at his flat (2d)-ink-splasher? We are just at the doorsill of a new eara. Many miles to go though at consumer market. But I'm optimistical. Next two years will be awsome!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I'm at the 3rd attempt with Mena's right knee! We REALLY need way better software for 3d-printing! Seriously, I don't want to care for temperature and speed details (what I have to do currently). The software must recognise problematic areas in the 3d-model and adjust all parameters to the current job. WTH do I have to decrease printer speed for critical areas manually?
    Does anyone remember Kai's Power Tools or Bryce (Kai Krause)? I should try to contact him ...

Edit: Mail sent. Let's see ;-)

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  12. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Cool, Kai Krause answered. I mean, that's the man who developed Bryce and such - lol.
    Unfortunately it seems he earned enough money to be able to hang out relaxed at his castle. Finally he is'nt interested in becomming the next intuitive-3d-print-software-guru ;-) Sad for me but comprehensible.

13. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Next level.
    I have serious software problems. My 3D Studio Max 2016 is a pain in the ass regarding boolean operations and I cannot use my test-licence of Rhino 3D any longer. For now I don't use this LEGO-connections anymore. I want to finish my 1:2.5 scaled Mena (800 mm).
    So here comes a small update: painting.
    20160509_185152.
    The hips (14.5 hrs print time - one part) are without LEGO already while the other parts still have it. A very interesting issue is still the sheer tallness: Small bad details from printing and painting will vanish as soon as you see the complete figure. At least I hope so ... ;-) btw Revell betried me: The blue colour is "MATTE 56". But it isn't matte. It's shiny :-(
    Whatever, my birthday is at June 4th and my wife asked for wishes three days ago. That was the start of Phase IV while Phase III continous: My wish was a 3d-model of my real head. No sooner said than done my modeler sent pictures to me today. What shall I say? Holy shit, that's me! LOL!
    prev.
    Unbelievable! It's made from seven shitty photos. And it fits!
    Time to think about this:
    cop2.
    This is pretty expensive material copper and bronze with ~80% metal.
    But as mentioned above: this would be Phase IV wich should lead to a 1:2.5 scaled model of an online-avatar with a RL head. Something like this:
    Michael02.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Faster than expected! I couldn't resist to start directly with the print yesterday evening. Well, I woke up at 9 in the morning hanging in my armchair in front of the printer.
    print01.
    I was really in luck when I found this modeler. His name is Eugene Petrov. Okay, Евгений Петров. But some of you can't read this I think. Have a look here:
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/eugenep
    My recommendation if you look for a good and fast modeler! (Four hours for the head - really crazy!)

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I'm liking the painting!

16. Next project must be of Neverdie! :)

17. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I love the new metal material like BronzeFill. It enables me to print models in good quality wich are less tall. The plan is to print Mena Oris as ~320 mm figure with CopperFill material. So I asked Eugene for some small changes. It's mainly the pose. Here is the first result:
    Mena 5 02. Mena Oris 37.
    Hopefully I can realize it during this week with CopperFill! The painted 800 mm version must wait.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Aaaaaand here she comes:
    IMG_2841.JPG
    IMG_2839.
    350 mm high plus 10 mm baseplate, 380 g (~28 Euro), 20 hrs printing, 5 hrs finishing.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 4